Friday, January 20, 2006

Hayek's Ethics

I read an essay "The Principles of a Liberal Social Order" by Hayek this week, and I have a few musings. I dare not call them thoughts, for they are not fully developed enough for that yet.
Economists try to stay away from Theology. Too bad, because Theologians tend to stay away from economics lest they appear greedy. (Not that I know any particularly wealthy economists.)
Hayek's ethics seem to root in Kant's theology. He uses this base to develop his economic arguements. My contention is that the use of Kant is unnecessary, and possibly detrimental. Modernist arguements fall deafly on postmodern ears.
Of course, the evangelicals haven't all figured this out yet either, and they are busy writing apologetics that don't recognize this or economics.

No comments: