Sunday, December 18, 2005

Books

I'm reading a couple of books right now. I'm listening to 1776 by David McCollough on Audio book on my way to and from work every day. That's pretty cool. I had read John Adams, by the same author, and enjoyed it, but the length of his books led me to try listening instead. Of course, it is still the unabbridged version.
I'm also reading The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek, the Austrian economist. It's a hard read, or at least the part I'm in right now is, but I am determined to finish it before school starts back up, and to start something new: The Wealth of Nations, by Adam Smith. Iwonder how many Economics majors have never read this book? How many Economics PROFESSORS have never read this book! I'm all into original sources, though.
Oh, I'm also reading The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer. It's great. When I finish that I want to read Performing the Faith, by Stanley Hauerwas, which is about Bonhoeffer.
I recently listened to A Look At Life From A Deer Stand, a book about fatherhood by Steve Chapman. A quaint book, with good reminders and encouragements about our role as fathers. That book was a gift from my dad.
My wife and I are reading the first book of the Mitford series aloud to each other at night. Much more rewarding than TV!
Also, we are listening to the Robert Kiosaki books about money together. I'm still on Rich Dad Poor Dad, and I think she's on to The Casflow Quadrant.
I'm also perusing a book by Dennis Raney on money.
I try to check Cafe Hayek every few days or so, and once a month I catch up on Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell's columns. If I could afford it I would subscribe to Richard Mayburry's Early Warning Report newsletter, but it runs a nice $200 per year, for 12 newsletters, 12 pages long each. There's a lot of good financial hints in there, though, and some people are getting rich because of that little newsletter. You can find a sample of it at www.chaostan.com
I'm also studying a lot of math right now. I tutor students in Precalculus and discrete math, so I'm having to refresh myself on concepts like trigonometry, which I haven't studied in 15 years or so.
There's so much I want to read. I hope that next year I don't have to work, so that I have more time to read and study.
That's all for now!
JN

No comments: